Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Week Three: Summarizing and Notetaking

Assignment #3: Complete the 4 part assignment format as you read, reflect, and respond to Chapter 3 – Summarizing and Notetaking

ALL PARTICIPANTS PLEASE READ THE NOTE BELOW!!!

Although your course packet asks you to post to blog for parts A, B, C, and D…we are asking that you only post part C and D. We’re trying to make the blog easier to read and more user- friendly. Thanks!

A. Self Assessment of Current Beliefs and Practices: This component asks you to reflect on how and why you currently use the instructional strategies of summarizing and notetaking in your classroom. The intent of this is to activate your prior knowledge of your strategy use so that you can make comparisons as you read the chapter. Below are the questions to help you complete your self-assessment. (Complete – but do not post!)
• In what situations is it important for my students to summarize?
• What does summarizing help my students do?
• What do I do to help students understand and use the process of summarizing?
• What questions do I have about using summarizing in my classroom?

B. Read & Reflect “Research & Theory”: This portion of the assignment asks you to read chapter 3 and reflect briefly on your thinking after reading the “Research and Theory” section for summarizing and notetaking. (Complete – but do not post!)

C. Practice: Choose one of the specific “classroom practice” strategies or techniques shared in this chapter to teach to your students (If you are not currently teaching, you may share how you would use this strategy in your classroom) – please post a brief reflection of how this went to the posting labeled Week Three: Summarizing and Notetaking. Click on the “comment” link below.

D. Final Strategy Reflection: Use the following sequence of questions/promps to reflect on what you’ve learned about both the strategies presented in the chapter and what you’ve learned about yourself as both a teacher and a learner. Please post your brief reflection to the posting labeled Week Three: Summarizing and Notetaking by clicking on the “comment” link below.

How has the information you read in this chapter on summarizing affected your thinking about teaching and learning? What have you learned about yourself as a teacher and learner? Use the following questions to assist you in writing a brief strategy reflection:
• How has reading this information affirmed some of what you already knew about summarizing?
• What is something you now understand better about summarizing?
• How might you change how you use summarizing in your classroom?

2 comments:

Robin Bailey said...

I used the Reciprocal Teaching strategy in my Spanish IV class. For homework I had my students read the short story "Una Carta a Dios" by Gregorio Lópes y Fuentes. I think that it's a bit different when doing this process in a foreign language because one is dealing with trying to do everything in the target language, which makes it necessary to simplify things a bit, since the fluency level of the students isn't what it is in the nataive language. When the students came into class that day they took a short quiz on the facts. I always do this a way to insure that the story gets read. I then had the students re-read the story in pairs. I broke the story into nine sections and then I numbered the class off by nine. All the ones got together, the twos etc. So instead of having one leader per section, I had basically three for each section. They were to work together to make sure that they were experts on their section. They needed to clearly understand every detail in their section. I then had them work together to create the questions that they would ask the rest of the class about their section since it's rather difficult to this in a second language without preparing. With the ability to study the text in a small group, they were also able to get clear about exactly what their section was about and clarify it to the rest of the class when that part of the task came up. This was also true with predicting. Since everyone knew what the end of the story was, I had them write a small story about what they think happened to the any one of the characters of their choosing, based on what we'd read.

I've taught this story many times. What I learned was how much more my students got involved by doing this Reciprocal Teaching. I've often done paired reading, but I had never done any paired/group summarizing activities, and when we did this in groups and then came together as a class, it was amazinng to watch the students lead their section. They had been given time to prepare and they took it seriously. I believe that they understood the story much better and they got much more out of it. Their writing afterward ended up being much more thoughtful and creative which showed me that they had understood the reading at a deeper level than when I had taught it before where we had only read the story and gone over questions of comprehension. I learned that summarizing this way is a much better way to make students understand what they are reading. I can see myself adapting all future readings so that students must utililze various summarization strategies, allowing them to process the material in a much more profound way.

Jackie or Mary said...

Hi Robin - I loved the way you used Reciprocal Teaching to embed summarizing into you high school Spanish course. Not only did it increase the oral language (due to the cooperative nature of reciprocal teaching...(which by the way is another of Marzano's strategies which increase students' learning)...but it gave the students' ownership of their work. Thanks so much for sharing this awesome use of effective teaching strategies...your students are lucky!