Saturday, November 8, 2008

Week Eight: Setting Objectives and Providing Feedback

Assignment #8: Complete the 4 part assignment format as you read, reflect, and respond to Chapter 8: Setting Objectives & Providing Feedback.

Remember: Although your course packet asks you to post to blog for parts A, B, C, and D…we are asking that you only post part C and D. We’re trying to make the blog easier to read and more user- friendly. Thanks!

A. Self Assessment of Current Beliefs and Practices: This component asks you to reflect on how and why you currently use the instructional strategy of Setting Objectives and Providing Feedback in your classroom. The intent of this is to activate your prior knowledge of your strategy use so that you can make comparisons as you read the chapter. Below are the questions to help you complete your self-assessment.
• What is your purpose when you set objectives and/or feedback in your classroom?
• How do you set objectives in your current classroom instruction?
• When and how do you communicate classroom objectives to your students?
• What kind of feedback do you provide for your students?

B. Read & Reflect “Research & Theory”: This portion of the assignment asks you to read chapter 8 and reflect briefly on your thinking after reading the “Research and Theory” section for Setting Objectives and Providing Feedback.

C. Practice: Choose one of the specific “classroom practice” strategies or techniques shared in this chapter to try out with your students (If you are not currently teaching, you may share how you would use this strategy in your classroom). Please post a brief reflection of how this went to the posting labeled Week Eight: Setting Objectives and Providing Feedback. Click on the “comment” link below.


D. Final Strategy Reflection: Use the following sequence of questions/prompts to reflect on what you’ve learned about both the strategies presented in the chapter and what you’ve learned about yourself as both a teacher and a learner. Please post your brief reflection to the posting labeled Week Eight: Setting Objectives and Providing Feedback by clicking on the “comment” link below.

How has the information you read in this chapter on Setting Objectives and Providing Feedback effected your thinking about teaching and learning? What have you learned about yourself as a teacher and learner? Use the following questions to assist you in writing a brief strategy reflection:
• The generalizations related to setting objectives explain that goals should be clear and specific, but also flexible enough for students to personalize the goals. Consider the objectives you are expected to use, that is, those provided by your school, district, or state. To what extent do you feel they meet the criteria of clarity, specificity, and flexibility?
• How does the information in Figure 8.3 about "Corrective Feedback" shed light on your own experiences with giving and receiving feedback? For example, does it surprise you that research indicates that simply telling students whether an answer is right or wrong can have a negative effect on their achievement?
• How might you change how you communicate objectives to students and parents?
• How will you monitor how well students are meeting their learning objectives?
• How will you engage students in the feedback process (consider use of rubrics)?

3 comments:

Robin Bailey said...

I continue to be interested that every time I go to a new chapter it coincides with what I am doing (sychronicity? Who knows?). At any rate, it seems like setting objectives for students is just another way of saying "having THEM make material real for THEMSELVES". Hopefully, as teachers, that is what we are all attempting to aid students in doing. One of the things that I do in all levels of my Spanish classes to help students set goals for themselves is to do a skit or a project that relates to their lives. Today, for example, I had my Spanish II students take the current grammatical concepts and vocabulary we have been learning and pair up with a classmate to creat a skit. The "scene" was that two friends run into each other after school and they talk about different after school activities that they are heading off to. They needed to include specific grammar and questions, but other than that, they could choose whichever vocabulary that they wanted from the current unit. Before they started, I put a grading rubric on the overhead (they were also given a copy of this) stating exactly what had to be done (or not done) to earn specific grades. I also have room on the rubrics to write down mistakes or terrific moments from the skit. These give specific feedback to justify the check-offs they get within certain boxes. When everyone was clear, I gave them 20 minutes to go to work and prepare. Most utilize the vocabulary that is available as it suits their needs, but a couple asked questions like "How do you say robotics club"? or other things that weren't part of the vocabulary but that pertained to their lives. They then performed their skits. It's always fun to watch because they use the vocabulary that is meaningful to them. The kids on the dance team create a skit saying that they're going to dance practice, the ones in the the band are going to band rehersal, etc. They make the skits meaningful to themselves. When we were done, I asked them if they felt that they had a better understanding of the GRAMMAR? To a person, they all said YES. Because the skit was personalized, they learned everything better, including the grammar. I always love that.
Some kids stayed after class to see their grades right away. The rest of the students will see them next class. At any rate, I always find that whenever I can make the material I teach personal to my students, they learn it better. So, with each unit of material I always do some sort of project where students must somehow make the material real for themselves.

I think what I don't do and what I will have to ponder is how to make these goals more overt with my students. I've never really thought about doing that. I ask them if they feel comfortable with what they've learned/are learning. I feel like I'm always monitoring, but I haven't actually done "official" goal setting. Hmmmm. I will have to think on this. I find that the effort/achievement rubric is a piece of this in that it lets students see their active role in their learning. I have students do some goal setting in my IB Spanish IV when I let students choose their IB oral topics (what they want to learn about for their taped oral discussion for IB) but, other than the more structured example that I gave above, I'm not sure if there is much more goal setting that I can do. I will think on it.

Jackie or Mary said...

Hi Robin...I first have to say that I sure wish I had a teacher like you when I was in High School. I hated Spanish class ...it was very difficult for me to catch on...and extremely boring. In your course, students appear to be able to actively interact with the language in a very safe learning environment. I'm sure this results in highly engaged students, which is no small feat in high school...Kudos to you:) This was another great example of how you were able to make learning real and meaningful for your students.

As far as goal setting goes for your students, this can be in any area...maybe a student needs to participate more often, maybe another needs to perform at a higher rate on their homework or tests, maybe another needs to learn how to take more of a leadership role in a cooperative learning activity...you get the idea:) Just some suggestions....

Robin Bailey said...

Wow! Thank for that feedback. It's so simple, yet so simple and specific. I think that that sort of thing would be just perfect. Thanks so much for the ideas. That was really helpful.