Monday, October 3, 2011

Chapter Two: Identifying Similarities and Differences

Assignment #2: Complete the 4 part assignment format as you read, reflect, and respond to Chapter 2 – Identifying Similarities and Differences.

Although your course packet asks you to post to blog for parts A, B, C, and D…we are asking that you only post part D to the blog. We’re also trying to make the blog more user-friendly and easier to read. Thanks!

A. Guiding Questions for Self Assessment of Current Beliefs and Practices: This component asks you to reflect on how and why you currently use the instructional strategies of identifying similarities in your classroom. The intent of this is to activate your prior knowledge of your strategy use so that you can make comparisons as you read the chapter. Below are the questions to help you complete your self-assessment. (Complete – but do not post!)

• What is the purpose of asking students to compare?
• What kinds of activities do I use to help students compare?
• I can think of a time that I asked students to compare, and I was pleased with the results. Why did it go well?
• I can think of a time that I asked students to compare, and I was not pleased with the results. Why did it not go well?
• What questions do I have about using comparing in my classroom?

B. Read & Reflect “Research & Theory”: This portion of the assignment asks you to read chapter 2 and reflect briefly on your thinking after reading the “Research and Theory” section for identifying similarities and differences. (Complete – but do not post!)

C. Practice: Choose one of the specific “classroom practice” strategies or techniques shared in this chapter to teach to your students (If you are not currently teaching, you may share how you would use this strategy in your classroom).

D. Final Strategy Reflection: Use the following sequence of questions/prompts to reflect on what you’ve learned about both the strategies presented in the chapter and what you’ve learned about yourself as both a teacher and a learner. Please post your brief reflection to the posting labeled Week Two: Identifying Similarities and Difference by clicking on the “comment” link below.

How has the information you read in this chapter on comparing affected your thinking about teaching and learning? What have you learned about yourself as a teacher and learner?

Use the following questions to assist you in writing a brief strategy reflection:

• How has reading this information affirmed some of what you already knew about comparing?
• What is something you now understand better about comparing?
• How might you change how you use comparing in your classroom?

4 comments:

Liliana Jimenez said...

Liliana Jiménez
Chapter 2 Identifying similarities and differences:
As I was reading this chapter I was reflecting on my teaching practices in regard with the diverse strategies presented in this book and the different opportunities that I have used them in my classroom. Comparing and classifying are the strategies I use the most in class. I have asked my first grade students to compare and contrast two different items during literacy class. Usually after reading a book, I work on comprehension exercises to help my students understand the text; one of the activities we do is to find similarities and differences between two different characters or two different stories we could have read. We have also compared two different pictures or situations that we found in books as well as particular behaviors we perceive in the characters.
My students have also classified objects in mathematics to help them understand patterns, number sense or geometric shapes. Besides, we have also grouped or classify nouns, adjectives and words according to their syllables in literacy class.
After reading this chapter I am more aware of the teaching opportunities I should have and the several strategies that are available for my first graders. I have to leave my comfort zone in order to expand my students’ learning opportunities.
In the present moment we are studying insects as part of the science curriculum; today in class I asked my students to compare and contrast two of the insects we studied in the previous weeks: praying mantis and ladybugs. I wanted to check not only their learning but I also wanted to apply this strategy in a different subject area. I have to say that I feel much rewarded with this activity; the children came up with many similarities and differences among the two insects than I have expected; I was very pleased with the results. I could see that analyzing how similar and different two insects were, made them think in all the characteristics of these particular creatures. They “dissected” the insects in their minds in order to compare them.
However, reading this chapter made me realize as a teacher that I have not been very confident or perhaps I believe that the other strategies presented in the book are more used with older students. I have never asked my students to construct a metaphor or an analogy because I believe these concepts are too abstract for my students? I now understand that I should scaffold and encourage the construction of metaphors and analogies in my class. I have to start with simple sentences to help them comprehend and apply these strategies. This is a personal challenge that I have; I want to provide my students with the tools they need in order to grasp and apply concepts that will help them achieve higher thinking levels.

Jackie or Mary said...

Hi Liliana,

So glad that your science lesson went well. It's a wonderful feeling to challenge students AND be rewarded by watching their excitement and success.

Yes, absolutely students in first grade can be introduced to analogies and similies and metaphors. (I would say that similies are much easier for students to grasp and work with at the primary level, but that's no reason not to expose them to metaphors or scaffold the lesson to provide the students with the necessary support.)

Leaving the safety and familiarity of our "comfort zone" is not always an easy thing to do, especially in our classroom. But as you said, it's what's needed so that we grow as professionals and allows us to provide our students with rich and engaging lessons and activities. :)

Karissa said...

Week Two: Identifying Similarities and Difference --
After I read this chapter I was reminded that allowing students to compare things is a great way of learning. The information in this chapter reminded me that there is more than one way to compare things than a Venn diagram. I usually use a Venn diagram but there are other ways to more effectively compare multiple things.
This reading affirmed that comparing can bring about great conversation and greater depth thinking for students. In a lesson I taught last week my students were comparing two characters in a story we read. Using a Venn diagram students could better see how these two characters were similar and different thus allowing them to see how the character developed throughout the story. We were also discussing segregation and seeing how various races were treated helped them come to the conclusion that they were very thankful for how far our nation has come.
I now better understand how much you need to guide students through each step many times before students can successfully accomplish the task of comparing. I often want students to learn things at a quick pace and tend to not spend enough time on teaching how something works. This chapter reminded me that it takes time to teach things to the criteria so that students can succeed on their own. As the teacher you need to be flexible that if you let them accomplish the task on their own you have to be open to the different views that something can be seen in. For different types of comparing modifications would have to be made in order for my group of students to use some of these ideas. I like the idea are a great place to start though.
I like the idea of using a comparison matrix but I believe I would have to break it down into more students in order for this to be a tool that 3rd graders could effectively use. I want to use more metaphors in my classroom to help students think more abstractly. Some students can think this way more easily than other but can be a great tool to use in various subjects to compare things. I love the graphic organizer for analogies as well and I believe by using this students will better be able to see how a basic analogies work. This will help immensely as we prepare for state testing and analyzing various subjects.

Jackie or Mary said...

Hello Karissa,

I always try to remind myself, "Process over product." Modeling, Scaffolding and Repetition are critical elements that are needed for students to successfully master new skills, especially at the elementary level. I would say that most teachers are trying to cover as much material as possible so we are all guilty of encouraging our students to move quickly. When we have the time to reflect and slow down, the results are often much better.