Monday, October 15, 2012

Assignment Two: Identifying Similarities and Differences

Assignment #2: Complete the 4 part assignment format as you read, reflect, and respond to Chapter 2 – Identifying Similarities and Differences.

Although your course packet asks you to post to blog for parts A, B, C, and D…we are asking that you only post part D to the blog. We’re also trying to make the blog more user-friendly and easier to read. Thanks!

A. Guiding Questions for Self Assessment of Current Beliefs and Practices: This component asks you to reflect on how and why you currently use the instructional strategies of identifying similarities in your classroom. The intent of this is to activate your prior knowledge of your strategy use so that you can make comparisons as you read the chapter. Below are the questions to help you complete your self-assessment. (Complete – but do not post!)

• What is the purpose of asking students to compare?
• What kinds of activities do I use to help students compare?
• I can think of a time that I asked students to compare, and I was pleased with the results. Why did it go well?
• I can think of a time that I asked students to compare, and I was not pleased with the results. Why did it not go well?
• What questions do I have about using comparing in my classroom?

B. Read & Reflect “Research & Theory”: This portion of the assignment asks you to read chapter 2 and reflect briefly on your thinking after reading the “Research and Theory” section for identifying similarities and differences. (Complete – but do not post!)

C. Practice: Choose one of the specific “classroom practice” strategies or techniques shared in this chapter to teach to your students (If you are not currently teaching, you may share how you would use this strategy in your classroom).

D. Final Strategy Reflection: Use the following sequence of questions/prompts to reflect on what you’ve learned about both the strategies presented in the chapter and what you’ve learned about yourself as both a teacher and a learner. Please post your brief reflection to the posting labeled Week Two: Identifying Similarities and Difference by clicking on the “comment” link below.

How has the information you read in this chapter on comparing affected your thinking about teaching and learning? What have you learned about yourself as a teacher and learner?

Use the following questions to assist you in writing a brief strategy reflection:

• How has reading this information affirmed some of what you already knew about comparing?
• What is something you now understand better about comparing?
• How might you change how you use comparing in your classroom?

5 comments:

Sarah said...

This chapter affirmed my belief that identifying the similarities and differences helps students close the gap between what they already know and what they still need to learn. Often students feel overwhelmed by a new task or idea. However, if you connect it to something they already know, they feel comfortable enough to tackle what’s new.
In addition, as a person who LOVES to organize things (objects AND ideas), this chapter affirmed that I’m using my organization skills for good in the classroom. One of my goals as an English teacher is to point out the commonalities found in literature. In literature, it’s not just raining. Rain is a symbol of cleansing or a new beginning. For example, it rains for 40 days and 40 nights in the Bible, wiping away all the evil for a new beginning; similarly, it rains on Holden Caulfield when he finally recovers from the death of his younger brother and can return to a normal life. By pointing out these similarities to my students, many comment how they now find these characteristics everywhere – books, TV shows, and movies. I think they enjoy recognizing and understanding the “secret” symbols that are planted. I have also found that graphic organizers help students to see similarities and differences. I’ve often worried about being “that” teacher – the one who makes all the handouts, but I’ve found that they do make a difference when comparing literature. It helps the students see the similarities and differences.
As I was reading this chapter, I was thinking that using analogies might be a good technique to try as a final exam. I try to never give an exam that simply re-asks the questions that they already saw on a previous test. Creating an analogy might be an interesting way to get students to think about what they already know in a different and more complex way. For example, I could use the Student-Directed Analogy example in the text to ask my students to compare the similarities and differences between two characters, themes, and/or literary techniques from two different pieces. Instead of testing each text individually, the student would have to evaluate the similarities and differences between two or more pieces.

Amy Cleveland said...

In first grade we identify similarities and differences in much of what we do. My first graders are consistently using this skill in reading, math, and science. Identifying how things are similar or different is a natural phenomenon at this age. It helps students understand what they are learning and compare to the knowledge they already have. At the beginning of the year, there is a lot of scaffolding that is done by me to help students identify the similarities and differences in the literature we read. After Christmas break I begin to use questions and a graphic organizer that are derived from Bloom’s Taxonomy to help students deepen their understanding of what we are reading. Some of the activities I use involve classifying the information from the text. I have also used Venn Diagrams for character comparisons. In math, we use a program called Bridges. This program is naturally set up for students to develop a deeper mathematical sense through direct instruction, structured investigation, and exploration. Many of the lessons have hands-on activities, comparing/contrasting manipulatives, and math games. I love using similarities and differences in math. Students at this age can really understand and explain why a square and a rectangle are different, but they can also tell you how similar they are.

When reading this chapter, I struggled with ways to incorporate teaching metaphors and analogies in first grade. I have a feeling this might be a little too advanced for six and seven year olds. But, maybe I am wrong. I think that if I was going to teach about analogies, it would have to be teacher-directed analogies.

Jackie or Mary said...

Hi Sarah!

What a great idea to try analogies with your students! I believe that higher order thinking skills need to be used more often in classrooms with teachers structuring their assignments in a way promotes deeper more complex thinking.

Hello Amy!

I’ve taught first grade before and have used analogies quite successfully with my students.

Primary teachers often make the same comment that you did about using analogies and metaphors with their students. Similies are easier for the little ones but you can def. introduce metaphors to your class. There are many books now that you could share with your children. I just looked on Amazon and saw You’re Toast and other Metaphors We Adore. Brian Cleary has one in his series called Skin Like Milk, Hair of Silk: What Are Similies and Metaphors? There were other ones as well if you want to search a little.

Modification will be needed but teachers can introduce these strategies to their students and incorporate them into their instruction. There are many activities and lessons to try.

You can google analogies in first/second/third/etc… grade and find a bunch of material. You can also do it with shapes as well.
Here's a link to a third grade sheet:

http://www.havefunteaching.com/worksheets/language/analogy/analogy-worksheet.pdf

Metaphors can be a little tricky for little ones. Similes might be a better place to start. It's not impossible, but I wouldn't expect mastery at the primary level. Quick as a Cricket is a popular picture book to use for Similes. I'm sure there are many others now if you look on Amazon. Towards the end of the year may be a good time to introduce them to the students. Plus you can explain to the students how it adds details to writing and helps to paint pictures in the audiences' mind.

One way to introduce analogies to your students is to use shapes. There are books and resources that have analogies in them. Again, if you look on the Internet you will find some good resources. I used the term "analogy for kindergartners" and came up with this

http://www.superteacherworksheets.com/vocab/animal-analogies_WQTMF.pdf

You could also make it a game for the students. I know little ones love to be detectives and solve mysteries.

Here's another link with a worksheet that has shape analogies. I think you need to register but you can look at the thumbnails and get the idea.

http://edhelper.com/language/Analogies.htm

Amy Cleveland said...

Wow- thank you for all of the great resources. I will look into these.

Jackie or Mary said...

You're welcome. It was funny this week that I dug even more of my old classroom books out for my sons and the baby got her hands on one of them... Animalogies A Collection of Animal Analogies that is from the Kids Are Author Series. It was written and illustrated by 4th grade students from a Magnet School in Connecticut. As I read it with her I envisioned writing lessons for primary students. You might want to check it out. It was $4 from Scholastic Books.