Monday, April 13, 2009

Week Three: Summarizing and Notetaking

Assignment #3: Complete the 4 part assignment format as you read, reflect, and respond to Chapter 3 – Summarizing and Notetaking

ALL PARTICIPANTS PLEASE READ THE NOTE BELOW!!!


Although your course packet asks you to post to blog for parts A, B, C, and D…we are asking that you only post part C and D. We’re trying to make the blog easier to read and more user- friendly. Thanks!

A. Self Assessment of Current Beliefs and Practices: This component asks you to reflect on how and why you currently use the instructional strategies of summarizing and notetaking in your classroom. The intent of this is to activate your prior knowledge of your strategy use so that you can make comparisons as you read the chapter. Below are the questions to help you complete your self-assessment. (Complete – but do not post!)
• In what situations is it important for my students to summarize?
• What does summarizing help my students do?
• What do I do to help students understand and use the process of summarizing?
• What questions do I have about using summarizing in my classroom?

B. Read & Reflect “Research & Theory”: This portion of the assignment asks you to read chapter 3 and reflect briefly on your thinking after reading the “Research and Theory” section for summarizing and notetaking. (Complete – but do not post!)

C. Practice: Choose one of the specific “classroom practice” strategies or techniques shared in this chapter to teach to your students (If you are not currently teaching, you may share how you would use this strategy in your classroom) – please post a brief reflection of how this went to the posting labeled Week Three: Summarizing and Notetaking. Click on the “comment” link below.

D. Final Strategy Reflection: Use the following sequence of questions/promps to reflect on what you’ve learned about both the strategies presented in the chapter and what you’ve learned about yourself as both a teacher and a learner. Please post your brief reflection to the posting labeled Week Three: Summarizing and Notetaking by clicking on the “comment” link below.

How has the information you read in this chapter on summarizing affected your thinking about teaching and learning? What have you learned about yourself as a teacher and learner? Use the following questions to assist you in writing a brief strategy reflection:
• How has reading this information affirmed some of what you already knew about summarizing?
• What is something you now understand better about summarizing?
• How might you change how you use summarizing in your classroom?

5 comments:

grace grieve said...

C. During our literacy time I had my small group take notes and draw pictures about the article they were reading. National Geographic lends itself nicely to this format of note taking. I had students fold a piece of notebook paper in half. They wrote the title of each section that they read on the left side of their paper. Then I asked them to draw a picture about what they had read on the right side. They really enjoyed this form of note taking. I will use this note taking strategy again when we do our research for Lewis and Clark speeches. Grace Grieve

grace grieve said...

D. I always thought I was the worst note taker because I could never figure out how to simplify my notes. After reading this section I am amazed that more is better. Taking more notes can actually help one retain the info. I appreciate all the examples of questions to ask students to help them summarize. I realize the importance of explicitly teaching students how to summarize various texts. I want to use the Narrative summarizing questions in our Daily Five as part of my expectations for reading to someone else.

Jackie or Mary said...

Interesting Grace: in drawing a picture of what they'd read...they would really need to sythesize each section of the text and pull out the "most important information & main idea" of the section. I like this idea - especially because I'm sure it was motivating for the kids :) I think it would be a great idea to introduce your students to the Narrative Frame. When I used it with students last year, I really needed to use the Gradual Release of Responsibility (modeling, shared, guided, independent practice) before students had success using it with their independent reading....just a heads up :)

paula said...

C. I use a stratedy from Linda Holt's book, "Make It Real- Strategies for Success with Informational Text." It's called Read, Remember, Represent, and Retell and it's very similar to Grace's idea. The students find a partner, reads as much as they can cover with their hand. Next cover the text with hand, consciously focus on what they just read and do a quick sketch/word web before telling their partner.
My first graders have been successful using this method. I have had to teach how to quick sketch/word web so it doesn't end up being an art project.

D. I was surprised to learn that taking more notes helps retain info. I have taught a self-contained sixth grade classroom in past years and I focused on the outline method for taking notes. Rethinking, I would teach my class the combination technique for notetaking. I like the idea of teacher supplying notes and students read and reflect on the right side of paper.
I'm just learning about the Daily Five through our blogging and I'm excited to learn more. I've ordered the book and subscribed to the Sisters website. Thanks everyone for sharing such great ideas. What an end of year boost!!!

Jackie or Mary said...

Thanks for sharing Paula! I love Linda Hoyt's work...the Read, Remember, Represent, and Retell strategy is perfect for that age group! I'm glad you shared that - it's often very hard to work on summarizing with our most youngest students! I'm so glad you're excited about the Daily Five and The Sisters. I'm almost done with their new book, The CAFE book (I think it may still be online through Stenhouse) and it's awesome! I'm using it for a book study in my building next year.