Friday, July 12, 2013

Assignment Four: Reinforcing Effort and Providing Recognition - Summer 2013

ALL PARTICIPANTS PLEASE READ THE NOTE BELOW!!!

Although your course packet asks you to post to blog for parts A, B, C, and D…we are asking that you only post part D to the blog as we’re trying to make the blog more user-friendly and easier to read. Thanks!
A. Self Assessment of Current Beliefs and Practices: This component asks you to reflect on how and why you currently use the instructional strategies of Reinforcing Effort and Providing Recognition in your classroom. The intent of this is to activate your prior knowledge of your strategy use so that you can make comparisons as you read the chapter. Below are the questions to help you complete your self-assessment.

• This chapter discusses the potential influence of reinforcing students' effort and providing recognition for their accomplishments. Think back to your own personal experiences and try to identify situations in which your learning was positively influenced when someone reinforced your effort or recognized your accomplishments in some significant way. You might also remember situations that would have been improved if someone had reinforced your effort or had given you recognition.

• Now try to remember examples of situations that you positively influenced because you did reinforce students' effort or provide recognition.

• How do you currently reinforce students’ effort in your classroom and what is your purpose?

• What makes reinforcing effective or ineffective?

• Although verbal recognition seems to be most effective, providing concrete tokens (e.g., stickers, candy, toys) can also be effective. What advice would you give to a new teacher about using tokens as rewards?

B. Read & Reflect “Research & Theory”:This portion of the assignment asks you to read chapter 4 and reflect briefly on your thinking after reading the “Research and Theory” section for both reinforcing effort and providing recognition. You may want to consider reflecting on the bulleted comment below.

C
. Practice: Choose one of the specific “classroom practice” strategies or techniques shared in this chapter to teach to your students (If you are not currently teaching, you may share how you would use this strategy in your classroom). You may want to consider reflecting on the bulleted comment below.

• This chapter recommends the use of rubrics to help students see the relationship between their effort and their achievement. Try to identify a specific long-term, challenging assignment that might be enhanced by using these rubrics.

D. Final Strategy Reflection:
 Use the following sequence of questions/promps to reflect on what you’ve learned about both the strategies presented in the chapter and what you’ve learned about yourself as both a teacher and a learner. Please post your brief reflection to the posting labeled Week Four: Reinforcing Effort and Providing Recognition by clicking on the “comment” link below.

How has the information you read in this chapter on summarizing affected your thinking about teaching and learning? What have you learned about yourself as a teacher and learner? You may use some of the following questions to assist you in writing a brief strategy reflection:
• How might I change how I reinforce students’ effort in my classroom?
• What is something you now understand better about reinforcing effort or providing recognition?
• How might you change how you provide recognition in your classroom?

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I have always had general conversations with my students about their effort and “best work,” however I had never thought until reading this chapter that students should be taught explicitly about effort and their academic achievement. I like the idea of using effort and achievement rubrics to help students think about their effort on a particular task. I could see using such a scale during reading, writing, math and science. After reading about the importance of recognizing students, I realize I need to make a more conscious effort to recognize students verbally throughout the day, particularly after a difficult task or during a difficult task by using the “pause, prompt and praise” method.


Jackie or Mary said...

Hi Laura! I do think it's beneficial for even our young learners to understand what is expected of them in both academic achievement as well as the amount of effort they put into their learning. Maybe there is one particular unit of study that you might be able to focus on creating rubrics to support this work with your students next year? Rubistar has some fabulous teacher created rubrics is you are ever interested in checking them out!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the website suggestion! I am enjoying using it as a tool to create a rubric for our science unit this year on insects.

Unknown said...

Assignment #4:

One change that I would like to make in reinforcing effort is the use of a rubric for students to chart their own effort and achievement as shown in figure 4.3. This sounds like a great way for kids to reflect and consider their own effort and the effect it has on their achievement.

One thing that I understand better about effort is that not all students realize the importance effort has on their achievement. I was under the impression that it was a given, this research makes me understand that not only explaining this but also finding ways to demonstrate this is necessary.

I want to incorporate several of the ideas mentioned in Figure 4.5. The main one that I feel I want to add to my current repertoire would be to provide detailed information about their accomplishment or their competence on specific tasks. This is something that I can do during class discussions, one on one, and written on assignments that are being assessed.

Jackie or Mary said...

David – Rubrics can be such a motivating tool to get students to monitor and reflect on their work…I find that when rubrics are given ahead of time and expectations are made clear, that most students rise to the occasion and give you their best. They are actually usually more critical of their work than you might be;)

Unknown said...


Assignment #4 “Reinforcing Effort and Providing Recognition”

We use many means to reinforce and recognize positive behaviors and accomplishments in the classroom. We participate in classroom cheers whenever the class accomplishes a goal. One favorite classroom management routines we have is a “Caught you” fuzzy ball. We have a jar we try to fill to a line drawn on the jar. I explain to the students that when we reach the line we will celebrate our accomplishments with a party. They get to choose what type of party and how we celebrate. I explain to the children that if I see someone doing something right I will give them a fuzzy ball. I explain to the children that “something right” can include, following a class rule, helping a friend, sharing, using friendly words, taking turns, or trying your best. The children love the procedure. They even begin to decide when one of their classmates has earned a fuzzy ball. It is so cute and fulfilling for me. It is a positive reinforcement technique that has worked well in the classroom.

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed reading this chapter. The Effort and Achievement Chart (Figure 4.3) is a great tool. I really appreciated the focus on explicitly teaching kids the value of effort, and giving examples of how effort really leads to success. I frequently see examples of kids not even wanting to even begin a task because they, “know they can’t do it”, when really, it’s the first step of effort that counts. I had a colleague who called these achievements, “tiny victories” (even though many of these achievements are HUGE!) and always made sure to “celebrate the tiny victories” with kids. It wasn’t just for their school efforts and accomplishmetns, but also with their friendship relationships, struggles at home, or other personal achievements. It’s now evolved into a mantra for my work in after school programming, when so many kids struggle to even begin their homework. It’s all about celebrating those tiny victories!

Jackie or Mary said...

Hi Laura E. – It sounds as though your classroom positive behavior management system works well and is fun for both you and your students! Thanks for sharing.

Jackie or Mary said...

Hi Nicolette – I love the idea of celebrating those tiny victories. I think that this would be especially important in your work supporting students in your after-school program…they truly need a positive environment to come to after already spending a full day in school!

Unknown said...

Week Four: Reinforcing Effort and Providing Recognition
When reading this chapter I was reminded of a book I read recently by Peter Johnston called Choice Words. When I praise students for effort I focus on specific details, “Wow! You really pulled that idea together in your last paragraph.” “That was a super friendly and safe way to high five your neighbor. Thank you for being so respectful.” I even used whole group statements, “Thank you for quieting down so quickly so I can give directions and we can continue learning.” I saw a big change in student’s attitude and demeanor when I was specific and they continued their efforts to want to be successful. It is super easy to say, “Good job!” What does that really mean?
I love, love, love the idea of personal best. I can even introduce it by talking about my running. I have never been a big fan of the bulletin board with kids’ cars racing around a track. It always made me cringe for the kids still on the starting line. I can totally support and encourage students breaking their old records and having them “compete” against themselves. I did something similar with fluency practice where students filled in a graph of minutes with blue crayon for a “cold” first time read and after a few days of practice they filled in the graph with a red crayon for their “hot” practiced read. Students would get so excited to see their improvement.

Jackie or Mary said...

Hi there Debra! Choice Words by Johnston is one of the best books I’ve read over the last couple years. I’ve been debating on whether I should recommend this as a staff read for this year….we just keep getting bogged down with everything else;) I also love the idea of creating ways to get kids to “compete” against themselves rather than each other.