Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Assignment Six: Nonlinguistic Representations - Summer 2013


ALL PARTICIPANTS PLEASE READ THE NOTE BELOW!!!

Although your course packet asks you to post to blog for parts A, B, C, and D…we are asking that you only post part Dto the blog. Thanks!

A. Self Assessment of Current Beliefs and Practices: This component asks you to reflect on how and why you currently use the instructional strategies of Nonlinguistic Representations in your classroom. The intent of this is to activate your prior knowledge of your strategy use so that you can make comparisons as you read the chapter. Below are the questions to help you complete your self-assessment.

• Nonlinguistic representations help us to recall and use information every day. Think of a topic that you understand very well and notice how many images related to this topic you can generate in your head. Now identify a topic with which you are familiar but that you do not understand well. Try to generate images and notice how difficult it is.
• What would be the purpose of representing knowledge in different forms everyday in our classrooms across curriculum areas?

B. Read & Reflect “Research & Theory”: This portion of the assignment asks you to read chapter 6 and reflect briefly on your thinking after reading the “Research and Theory” section for both Nonlinguistic Representations.

C. Practice: Choose one of the specific “classroom practice” strategies or techniques shared in this chapter to teach to your students (If you are not currently teaching, you may reflect on how you would use this strategy in your classroom). You may want to consider the bullets below.

• This chapter explains that nonlinguistic representations are powerful ways to learn and recall information but that many classrooms are very linguistically oriented. Think of classroom experiences that are often effective but that are inherently linguistic (e.g., reading the textbook, engaging in a discussion, listening to an explanation). Suggest several specific ways that these linguistic experiences could be even more effective by guiding students to generate and use nonlinguistic representations, such as graphic organizers, multimedia, and role-plays.
• When do you ask students to represent knowledge using forms other than words?

D. Final Strategy Reflection: Use the following sequence of questions/prompts to reflect on what you’ve learned about both the strategies presented in the chapter and what you’ve learned about yourself as both a teacher and a learner.

How has the information you read in this chapter on Nonlinguistic Representations effected your thinking about teaching and learning? What have you learned about yourself as a teacher and learner? Use the following questions to assist you in writing a brief strategy reflection:

 How might I change how use nonlinguistic representation in my classroom?
• What is something you now understand better about nonlinguistic representations?

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I appreciated how this chapter pointed out that students are often left to make their own non linguistic representations. It is a good reminder that as a teacher I need to not just present information orally but also accompany that information with a visual or physical response for students. This next year, I am going to try and incorporate using graphic organizers more into my modeling and into student work. One area, I would like to try this in is science. For example, instead of making a list about igneous rocks, we could use a graphic organizer to list the information.

Jackie or Mary said...

Hi Laura – it’s so important to remember that we have all types of learners in our classroom on a daily basis…the content areas – especially science – are a great way to incorporate visual learning strategies into your instruction!

Unknown said...

Assignment #6 “Nonlinguistic Representations”

In our classroom we use nonlinguistic representations for almost everything. When I introduce a word or idea I always try to accompany it with a visual aid or 3-d representation of the concept we are exploring. We began to experiment with graphic representations with the Kindergarten class. We would discuss a story that we had written or, from a book we had read. I would write a name of a character from the story, or ask the students to name a character we could talk about. I would write the name on the Smart Board, and circle the name. Then, I would ask the children to tell some characteristics or things about the character. I would draw lines, and add a detail the children listed. Then, I would write the character and circle it. This exercise helped the children brainstorm, identify details, and begin to mind map information. I would explain to the children, that we sure know a lot of different things about the story, or, characters in this story.

Unknown said...

Assignment #6

I will definitely use more of the kinesthetic activities in my classroom next year. I have incorporated these activities before but not enough. I really enjoyed the example mentioned about body math. I could see how you could use this type of representation in a lot of different subject matters.

I realize the importance of nonlinguistic representations in helping students comprehend information and retain that information as well. It allows the teacher the ability to help students recall information, build on that information, and assess student’s knowledge as well.

Unknown said...

I’m with David on wanting to incorporate more kinesthetic learning for kids in the classroom. Body Math sounded awesome! I used to use a soft Koosh ball to help kids practice their spelling words throughout the week. It was an activity that I held at lunch time for kids that wanted to come up and practice their words, but it became so popular that I ended up using it in the classroom almost weekly as a “treat”. Can you imagine? Practice spelling words as a treat? They loved it, and I’m convinced it was all because kids got to toss this little Koosh ball to myself and their peers. Not only that, but it significantly helped them remember information, and gave other kids the chance to cheer them on, “e-n-c-y-c-l-o-p-e… comon’! you got this!”. I just wish I had more tricks up my sleeve like this one. ☺

Jackie or Mary said...

Hi Laura E., Debra, and Nicolette – it’s great that you are all trying to find ways to infuse some of that nonlinguistic learning in!!! I’m not sure if you’ve heard of the Responsive Classroom, but I love their work. They’ve developed a system for classroom management that puts children at the center. There are several books in particular that get kids moving AND learning. Rather than me listing them, I thought I’d provide you the link so you all can take a look;) Here it is: http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/category/category/activities-energizers

Unknown said...

Week 6: Nonlinguistic Representations
***Oops, I see that the above comment mentioned my name but I think you meant "David"....here is my response.

After reading this chapter I am even more convinced that the way I will be addressing homework supports student learning. I have always used graphic organizers to help students comprehend their reading for both fiction and nonfiction. I am with David with the idea of using “Body Math” for my students next year. I can see using it for vocabulary as well as to show multiplication problems or problem solving. (I can envision using hula hoops to illustrate 3 x 5. Three hula hoops with five students in each hoop. Of course it will only work for smaller results. I certainly cannot illustrate 9 x 7!) I can also see doing many of these nonlinguistic patterns whole group at first and then releasing responsibility for students to try in partners or reading groups. I might take pictures of our diagrams and print them on 3x5 labels so students can stick them into their reading logs, math logs or notes for a particular study. Real understanding can be monitored through responses in their homework journals.

Unknown said...

Oh and I forgot to add I have some of those books you were talking about earlier in the responsive classroom. (The Morning Meeting Book, 80 Morning Meeting Ideas, and their new one The First Six Weeks of School.) I love these books and they are super for building community and a huge resource of greetings, songs, games and activities...

Jackie or Mary said...

Yes...I did mean "David" in an earlier response...not "Debra"...sorry about that!

Jackie or Mary said...

Debra – The Responsive Classroom system is fabulous…my personal favorite as far as classroom management goes, but unfortunately, our district is jumping on the PBIS bandwagon as so many other districts seem to be:( Your homework system aligns perfectly with using nonlinguistic representations!!!

Unknown said...

We have been doing PBIS for a couple of years and a chart that uses a clippie for each child to move either up or down depending on student behavior.